Baked tofu with stir fry veg
When we went away for a few days last week we experimented with some new recipes.
One of these was this baked tofu. I marinated the tofu for 12 hours as I had the luxury of time, but if you don’t have this time then you can always marinade it for longer, prepping the day before, or just coat the tofu in the marinate before baking. Generally speaking, the longer you marinade the better.
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce (or soy sauce).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Thumb size piece of ginger root grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
1 block of Tofu – I use the 396g net weight organic Cauldron
4-5 tablespoons cornflour
Stir fry veggies – this can be your own mix (we tend to use some shredded cabbage or pak choi, peppers, mushrooms, beansprouts, edamame beans etc) or you can buy a ready-made stir fry pack from the supermarket.
- Drain the tofu, take it out of the pack and then press it. To do this you can buy a tofu press or just put it between 2 plates and place a weighted object (safely) on top – saucepan filled with water, a litre bottle of tonic water etc etc. Ideally press for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together in some Tupperware.
- Once pressed, cut the tofu into cubes (I go for about 2cm cubes).
- Add the cubes into the Tupperware with the marinade, place the top securely on and shake to mix the marinade around the tofu.
- Leave in the fridge for as long as you’ve got to allow the tofu to absorb the flavour.
- When ready start cooking, pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees (180 fan oven) and grease a shallow-edged baking tray – you can use olive oil, coconut oil etc.
- Tip about 4-5 tablespoons of cornflour onto a plate.
- Roll the cubes of tofu individually in the cornflour, coating all sides.
- Place the coated cubes onto the greased baking tray and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes, flipping the tofu at the 15 minute mark.
- After flipping the tofu it’s a good time to start preparing your veg – add a little olive oil to a wok and place on a medium-high heat, stir-fry as per pack instructions or if using your own veg until they look ready (mushrooms and peppers tend to take the most time (6 mins or so) so add them first, leafy greens need the least time (2-3 mins).
- Assemble the dish by placing the stir-fry veg on the plate first as a bed for your tofu and then place the baked tofu on top.