Quick and Easy Plant-based Dinner – Aubergines with Chickpea Ratatouille
I wanted to post a recipe that highlights how a healthy lifestyle is not just for those who are affluent and can afford the latest ‘superfood’ powder or ingredient.
I also wanted to show how easy it can be to make a healthy meal, even if you’re not confident in the kitchen yet.
This recipe has limited ingredients and is easy to put together
Sorry about the photo! I made it as a quick dinner before knowing I was going to post it!
1 1/2 aubergines
1 x 400g can of chickpeas
1 x 400g can ratatouille
1-2 teaspoons ground coriander
A few shakes of soy sauce (I use tamari sauce)
A few sprigs of fresh oragano
Pepper to season
A small amount of olive oil for the pan
A small note: I used a can of pre-made shop bought ratatouille as wanting to make this recipe cheap, quick and accessible. If fancy making your own think stewing tomatoes (or using a can of chopped tomatoes) and adding in ribbons of green and yellow courgettes, some onions and diced peppers.
1. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Cut the top off 2 aubergines and then cut in half lengthwise ways.
3. Set half an aubergine aside to use for another yummy recipe!
4. Use a sharp nice to cut into the aubergines in a cross cross pattern, cutting into at least half the depth of the aubergine but not all the way through – this helps the heat get into the centre of the aubergine and makes sure it cooks right the way through .
5. Put a small amount of olive oil on a roasting pan and place the aubergine on top, you can spray/put a small drizzle of olive oil on top of the aubergines too, but you don’t need much.
6. Place in the pre-heated oven for 30 mins.
7. Whilst the aubergines are cooking drain the can of chickpeas and place them in a frying pan, cook on high-medium heat until any water has evaporated.
8. Turn town the heat and add the ratatouille, allow to simmer.
9. Whilst simmering add the ground coriander, oragano and soy to taste.
10. Once the half hour is up take the aubergines out of the oven and tip the ratatouille/chickpea concoction ontop of the aubergines.
11. Place back in the oven for 20 mins.
12. Serve and enjoy!